Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hoan Kiem Lake Roundabout

All foreigners have very different perspectives about the traffic situations in Hanoi. Some choose to look at it as a joke, as a majority of the conversations we have at a dinner party is about that crazy guy on a motorbike did this and what we saw them carrying. Others look at it as an extreme hazard, never allowing their children to cross the road by themselves (which I do not blame them for). My friend, Jemimah Beardwood, has shared with me her perspective on one certain area of Hanoi: 

"Having avoided the wildlife, I found myself in the middle of the round-a-bout. Not just any old round-a-bout from a cosmopolitan country with some ridiculously sensible system. No. This was motorbikes of all different colors swerving in all different directions and beeping at each-others bad driving, utter hypocrisy. “Slow and steady” I chanted like a mantra. The other side of the road was so far “I would walk 500 miles”. Whoever sung that song obviously didn’t have to cross this road on their journey. Whoever sung that song obviously didn’t have to cross this road on their journey. Closing my eyes I shuffled across listening to syllables I’m sure I will never be able to understand. “xin chào, bao nhiêu, cảm ơn bạn” all mixed into one sound. "



The round-a-bout Jemimah is talking about is the one next to Hoan Kiem Lake. I know how she feels. This round-a-bout is known as one of the busiest crossings in Hanoi. Someone was able to capture the essence of it perfectly in this video:





Every time I cross that street, I wish whoever I'm with good luck and I say "Maybe, I'll see you on the other side." It is truly a very interesting and frightening experience. But that's what makes Hanoi...well, Hanoi!



Use the tips from my previous post about how to cross a street when crossing this roundabout. If you are a newcomer to Vietnam, you may want to try practicing on smaller and less...congested streets.


Works Cited



Crazy Hanoi Intersection . YouTube. N.p., 4 Dec. 2009. Web. 22 Dec. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment